Mac n’ Cheese Soup
Posted by debi on December 29, 2011 at 10:26 am in Recipes, Soups | 0 commentsI made this soup with buffalo chicken “fries” for some friends last week. Essentially it’s macaroni and cheese with a lot of sauce, and they call it a soup. But, it’s tasty!
- 6 ounces dry whole wheat elbow macaroni (about 1-1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups whole milk
- 4 cups shredded sharp Cheddar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Salt, to taste
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- Cook macaroni in a pot of salted water according to package directions; drain and set aside.
- Sweat onion in butter in a large saucepan over medium heat until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in flour to coat and cook 1 minute. Stir in broth, simmer and allow to about 1/2 cup to evaporate. Add nutmeg and cayenne. Simmer until lightly thickened, about 5 minutes, then whisk in milk and warm through. Do not let boil or base may become grainy.
- Add Cheddar, 1 cup at a time, allowing it to melt completely before adding the next cup. Stir in macaroni, lemon juice and salt; remove from heat.
- Combine blue cheese and chives in a small bowl. Garnish each serving with blue cheese mixture.
Makes about 7 cups.