But lying rodents are a whole different post.
As I drove home one thing kept running through my mind – I want soup. I really want soup. I had been planning to make this recipe “soon” but hadn’t picked a day (my weekly menu planning has been a bit loose, but starting Sunday it’s going back on track) and I figured today was the day.
This recipe is so easy to make and super delicious. The best part is the surprise melty cheese at the bottom of the bowl. Yum.
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage, out of the casing (hot Italian turkey sausage is best)
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 diced carrot
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 14-1/2 oz can chopped Italian-style stewed tomatoes
- 1 cup twist pasta
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 1 cup diced fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- 4 teaspoons thinly sliced basil (optional)
- Brown sausage in large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and carrot; saute 3 minutes. Stir in mushrooms and garlic; saute another 3 minutes.
- Add broth and tomatoes to pot; bring to a boil. Stir in pasta and cook 10 minutes, or as package directs.
- Add spinach; swirl until it wilts, about 1 minute.
- Place cubes of mozzarella in bottom of bowl. Ladle soup over the cheese to melt it. Top with fresh grated Parmesan and basil leaves, if desired.