Green Beans with Caramelized Onions and Tarragon
Posted by debi on January 3, 2012 at 5:29 pm in Recipes, Vegetables, Side Dishes & Salads | 0 commentsThis is my take on green bean casserole – and I think it’s pretty great. In fact, it’s one of my favorite dishes from our Christmas dinner.
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large sweet onions, thinly sliced
- coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 pounds green beans, trimmed
- 4 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon leaves
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high. Add onions and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until softened and just beginning to brown, 10 minutes. Reduce heat to medium; cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are deep golden brown and very soft, 30 minutes. (Refrigerate in an airtight container, up to 1 day. Bring to room temperature before using.)
- Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling salted water, cook green beans until crisp-tender and bright green, about 6 minutes. Drain and toss with tarragon and 1 teaspoon oil; season with salt and pepper. Transfer beans to a platter and top with onions.