Decadent Brownie Torte
Posted by debi on December 7, 2010 at 12:03 pm in Recipes, Desserts | 0 comments
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 ounces (1 cup) semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped (or use chocolate chips)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 ounces each (2 cups total) semisweet and dark chocolate, finely chopped (or use chocolate chips)
- 1-1/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- Preheat oven to 350. Line a 13×9-inch baking dish with foil or parchment and butter foil.
- Put butter, 6 ounces (1 cup) semisweet chocolate and cocoa powder in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water; stir until butter and chocolate have melted. Let cool slightly.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl. Put sugar, eggs and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer and mix on medium speed until pale. Add chocolate mixture; mix until combined. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture; mix, scraping down sides of bowl, until well combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan; spread evenly with a spatula. Bake until a toothpick inserted into brownies (avoid center and edges) comes out with a few crumbs but is not wet, about 35 minutes. Let cool in pan.
- For ganache: Place 6 ounces each (2 cups total) semisweet and dark chocolate in a medium heatproof bowl. Bring heavy cream and light corn syrup to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium-high heat; pour mixture over chocolate. Let stand, without stirring, until chocolate begins to melt. Using a flexible spatula, gently stir chocolate and cream until totally combined. Stir until the mixture is smooth and glossy. Let sit 10-15 minutes.
- Assembly:Remove brownies from pan and cut into 3 long strips. Place one strip on a long, rectangular dish. Spoon out 1/3 of ganache onto brownie. Top with another brownie and spoon 1/2 of remaining ganache on top. Repeat with final brownie and remaining ganache. Garnish with shaved or curled chocolate. Serve with fresh whipped cream.