Chewy Chocolate-Gingerbread Cookies
Posted by debi on December 23, 2010 at 9:30 am in Recipes, Cookies | 1 commentThese are a great alternative to gingerbread cookies. The combination of spices and chocolate will delight both children and adults.
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1-1/2 cups, plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsulfured molasses
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, ground ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and cocoa.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and grated ginger until whitened, about 4 minutes. Add brown sugar; beat until combined. Add molasses; beat until combined.
- In a small bowl, dissolve baking soda in 1-1/2 teaspoons bowiling water. Beat half of the flour mixture into butter mixture. Beat in baking soda mixture, then remaining half of the flour mixture. Mix in chocolate; turn out onto a piece of parchment. Pat dough out to about 1 inch thick; refrigerate until firm, 2 hours or more.
- Heat oven to 325. Roll dough into 1-1/2 inch balls; place 2 inches apart on baking sheets lined with parchment. Refrigerate 20 minutes. Roll in granulated sugar. Bake until the surfaces crack slightly; 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes; transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.