Posted by debi on April 23, 2012 at 11:19 am in Recipes, Bread & Rolls | 0 commentsI decided to try a new biscuit recipe and this one from The Pioneer Woman is great! It’s fast to make, tastes great and you can freeze some for later.
- 4 cups flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1/3 cup cold butter, cut into pieces
- 1-1/4 cups buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Combine dry ingredients in food processor. Add shortening and cold butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.Pour in buttermilk and pulse until just combined. Dough will be sticky.
- Lightly flour your work surface. Turn out dough and roll to a 1/3-inch thickness. Cut rounds (I use a drinking glass) and place in a baking dish or on a cookie sheet. Bake 11-14 minutes, until golden brown.
To freeze: place cut dough rounds on a baking sheet and freeze. Once hardened, you can store in a ziplock bag. To bake, remove as many biscuits as you’d like and place on baking sheet. Bake in 450 oven for 15-18 minutes.