Apple Fritter Rings
Posted by debi on February 27, 2012 at 11:00 pm in Recipes, Desserts | 1 commentI was sitting on the couch watching tv and knitting and I started feeling snack-ish. I wasn’t sure what to make, so I hit my virtual recipe box and flipped through recipes til I found one that I just knew was what I wanted tonight. Within 20 minutes I was sitting on the couch watching tv and eating fritters. YUM!
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil, plus more for frying
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 medium apples (Granny Smith or other tart preferred, but really any work), cored, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch-thick rings
- In a medium-sized bowl combine 1/2 cup sugar and cinnamon.
- In another medium-sized bowl, mix buttermilk, 4 teaspoons vegetable oil and eggs. Stir in flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Heat about 2 cups of vegetable oil in a large, heavy, high-sided skillet to 375 degrees.
- In batches, coat apples in batter and fry until golden brown, about 4 minutes per batch, flipping over halfway through. Transfer to a paper towel-lined baking sheet to drain.
- Toss apples in cinnamon-sugar mix and serve.
Try with pears, they are delicious!